Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jingle-all-the-way

Today I noticed myself with the Kit-Kat commercial in my head. As I was humming the tune in my head, "Gimme a break, gimme a break, break me off a piece of that Kit-Kat bar!", I realized that that commercial doesn't even exist anymore. And it hasn't existed for about 10 years, probably, by now. When this realization happened, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. For sure it shows how truly dated I'm becoming? More and more people in this country are not old enough to remember that commercial airing, and that song getting stuck in your head; let alone years later it still getting stuck in your head. The other thing that I realized, is that it doesn't even seem that commercial jingles in general even exist anymore. It seems that most commercials, if they have sound, it is without words or lyrics. And instead of a jingle, it seems most advertisers would rather use popular music as an audio background. My opinion is that advertisers are missing the mark. I never hear a pop song and specifically group it to an ad. I might think a particular song is in somekind of commercial, but I never entirely place it. Whereas, I could probably recite to you any product that has a musical tagline or jingle. Where have all the jingles gone? Are there no more talented jingle writers anymore? Is it an embarrassing profession to have? Honestly, its probably better the way that it is; as I have less headaches the fewer number of jingles that exist and can get stuck in my head, but I still appreciate their value.